Esther Averill

1/8/13

My oldest, and now her sister too, have discovered the books by Esther Averil since I presented them with The Fire Cat and Heather showed us Jenny and the Cat Club, and now I had to buy them all, or almost, (I am missing one). She reads them, though not voraciously as I wished, but it is her style.



You can read her biography here.


         The Cat Club Series
Jenny and the Cat Club contains all the highlighted stories, it is thus thick.

The Cat Club, 1944
The School For Cats, 1947: thin, 33 pages
Jenny's First Party, 1948
Jenny's Moonlight Adventure, 1949: thin, 33 pages also
When Jenny Lost Her Scarf, 1951
Jenny's Adopted Brothers, 1952
How the Brothers Joined the Cat Club, 1953
Jenny's Birthday Book, 1954: thin, picture book like
Jenny Goes to Sea, 1957: thick, 128 pages
Jenny's Bedside Book, 1959. Probably out of print.
The Fire Cat, 1960: thin, Early Reader type.
The Hotel Cat, 1969:thick, 161 pages
Captains of the City Streets, 1972: thick, 145 pages

 Jenny and the Cat Club

I define Averill's style like that of the 50's and 60's that some books have, homey and chic, the topics and language are to me colloquial but elegant.

To have girls, to homeschool them... ahhhhhhhh, all the worries and troubles fade when I realize we have been given a second chance of living my childhood as in a lovely dream in the company of my own children!


6 comments:

Jeanne said...

We love Esther Averill too. I think this video is cute. Have you seen it?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wWQwhBer_Y

Silvia said...

I will watch it with the girlies, they will LOVE it.

Oh, if Esther Averill is Jeanne's proved and approved, I now feel MUCH BETTER.

You still owe me a private email with your address, lady!

Jenny said...

So glad your girls are enjoying little Jenny. My oldest loved the series when she was 2nd grade, her sister too and now my third child is enjoying the Cat Club. It is on my reading list for everyone right about 7-8yrs old.

It was fun to read your post this morning. That oldest child is celebrating her 13th bday today and this brings back some memories of my first homeschooling year :D

Silvia said...

Happy New Year, Jenny. I read you but I have been quiet lately.

Wow, time flies, doesn't it. I am glad you remind us of the precious memories, they stand the passage of time.

Hugs,

s

Lisa said...

Thanks so much for the tip, dear Silvia. I have never heard of these, but I will definitely try them for my girls.
Many blessings to you in the new year, my friend! :)

Sarah said...

Her books look lovely, we haven't read any yet. Happy new year to you and your Silvia. Looking forward to connecting more with you this year and growing as a homeschooling family. :)

Blogging for Books

I review for BookSneeze® I review for BookSneeze®I Review For The Tyndale Blog Network

Amazon

Followers

Kindle

My thoughts and tips about the Kindle

Connections

Copyrights

Site Meter Creative Commons License eXTReMe Tracker Designed by Silvia Cachia @2012

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP