The day I was told to shut up!

Yesterday as I was reading from Chapter 3 of The Wind in the Willows, assuming that the book is hard to follow because of the rich language, I interjected this, "Rat is now going to rescue Mole from the Wild Wood", and my 5 year old daughter adamantly told me this,

Can you please not tell us the story but let the book tell us what is going to happen by itself?


14 opinion(s):

Jenny said...

That's wonderful; you have to love the mind of a child. lol

Marvan said...

Brilliant!!!!
We are going to start the book soon too. I'm excited about it.
Thanks by the way for the Lego add;).

Silvia said...

My pleasure!

I cannot wait to have your opinion.

Ellen @ Tote-ally Blessed said...

Love it when kids do that type of thing! They keep it real, you know?! =)

Silvia said...

LOL... yes, I gladly obeyed.

Jeanne said...

Chuckle. You have been told.

Diana Dow said...

I guess she told you. I've never read this book except in the form of children's picture books. I'm not a big fan. Maybe I should take a closer look.

Silvia said...

I think you will love it. It is, like Winnie, one of those you enjoy much as a grown up or an older child.

Charlotte Mason in the City said...

Yes! Just as it's supposed to be. :)

...they call me mommy... said...

Oh my. LOL. I needed the "shut up" reminder myself! :) Annie (9) and I are reading Wind in the Willows right now also. Have you heard of Toad Triumphant? Is it any good? It's a sequel right? :)

I thought your comment about liking the word "pumpkin" over at a Peaceful Day was sweet...pumpkin IS a delightful word! :)

~Amy

Ellen, the Bluestocking Belle said...

Silvia, my girls have told me the same thing! More along the lines of: We don't need you to explain the story, Mama.

Hilarious!

Kelly said...

She's channelling Charlotte Mason! ;-)

Kim said...

That is so funny! :) I've had something similar happen but only when I would give the kids an overview of what I previously read the days before (in Pilgrim's Progress) so they would remember what was happening in the story and I am usually told, "You already read that. We know that part." It is amazing how much they remember from books like these when we think the language is too much for them. But in reality we are training their minds and ears to prefer these kinds of words :)

The Wind in the Willows is one of my favorites and very good read as an adult :)

Sarah said...

That is funny :)

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels