A Year with G.K. Chesterton

A Year with G.K.Chesterton, 365 days of wisdom, wit, and wonder, is already my favorite book of the year and already a classic. It has everything a person who loves reading desires. The format is brilliant. I do not recall having read any book like this. Kevin Belmonte says

 "The opportunity to craft a book called A Year with G.K.Chesterton has been a gift. It is as though one has been welcomed to an inn where a fire blazes in the hearth and a hearty meal awaits."

I feel the same warmth as I open and read this book. It has this formula for each day, it always starts with a Bible verse from the New King James Bible, it proceeds to include a paragraph from Chesterton related to the verse in more or less degree, and a second passage from one of his books or a writing from a publication or magazine that wrote about him. It always ends with a few records of what Chesterton did on that day of the month, in different years. As you read it you get to know Chesterton more, and through him other writers such as Dickens or C.S. Lewis.  It amazes me to read thoughts penned in 1909 and feel them so close to the topics that are of relevance today. Chesterton's wisdom, wit, and wonder will always be of interest. And all the credit to Belmonte for making him so approachable. I had read some of Chesterton essays before, and though I grasped enough as to admire him, I got very lost in many of his writings for lack of understanding of his context and the authors and philosophies he alludes to. Now even though some of the passages are more challenging to me, in such a varied compilation I have enough for a year and more!

A book you will take with you to the kitchen, to your nightstand, the doctor's office, and your reading chair.



I review for BookSneeze®Disclosure: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program in exchange for an honest review. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

4 opinion(s):

...they call me mommy... said...

Sounds neat...I decided to treat myself to different devotional type books in the new year! I really want to get Amy Carmichael's Edges of His Ways.

Thanks for the recommendation, Silvia!

~Amy

Silvia said...

Hi Amy,
I am looking at the book you mention, and it has a similar format but it is more a devotional, while the Chesterton book is more a book about his thoughts, they are not commentaries of the Scriptures, but Scripture is at the beginning of each day, and Chesterton comments surely are food for thought!

Enjoy your weekend!

Beatnik Mary said...

That's a beautiful review!

Anonymous said...

Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity for your submit is just great and that i could suppose you're a professional in this subject. Well along with your permission allow me to grasp your RSS feed to stay up to date with approaching post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please continue the rewarding work.
Feel free to surf my webpage until

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels