Thanksgiving Book Recommendations

Thanks to Nancy, now I have two more valuable titles to add to the Thanksgiving list. First I have to say that the last title from the previous post that I picked today from my friend Lorri, was a wonderful new addition to our Thanksgiving treasure. We read it in the afternoon, and were uberly (I wish that word were me, but I feel fakey using it, LOL) very pleased with it.



While I read it my girls were concocting their sweet drawings of Indians. My oldest fantasied about the 'king' of Indians having a crown, but soon realized they are called 'jefes', chiefs, and they most likely wore more elaborated than the others headpieces, probably adorned with feathers. It reminded me about one of the last Aesop Fables we read about the Peacock who was proud of his feathers, but who couldn't fly that much after all, and about the turkey we saw at the farm, how impressive, but those are my connections, they have theirs, and I can't put mine in their heads, only enjoy theirs and see how they become more sophisticated within time.

This may not be much, but to me, this is a universe. I value these simple little things, I appreciate their depth and richness, they are a stark contrast with the paper hats and watered down talk I so shamefully used to give to my students around "Turkey Time" as some students call it, and as it's criticized by the outraged teachers who don't know about Holland, Samoset and  Massasoit themselves, or who think that Stephen Hopkins is the British actor of The Silence of the Lambs. I was one of them.

Mom learned that the classic hat we picture men wearing when we think of pilgrims was used for special occasions, duh! Yes, my knowledge of Thanksgiving is that precarious, but I'm mending it, abide with me, please. This one has more information than the also good Ann McGovern title. I have to add that the books ends with the first two phrases of Doxology, a hymn of that time, (which I did not know either). I better stop boring everyone by mentioning those I don't knows, because when one knows nothing is not worth mentioning, don't you agree?

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heav’nly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.


And Nancy recommended these two titles, Cranberry's Thanksgiving,
one I can't afford, and Margaret Pumphrey's Pilgrim Stories which I got for 3.50 plus shipping, but that can be bough starting at one cent and which is NANCY APPROVED! I looked inside the book and I immediately fell in love with it.

A few good titles is all I'm after. And I'm in the right track, or that is what I want to believe! Charlotte Mason has changed much in my outlook to life and books. I still love books and I love finding good bargains since I enjoy having a decent quantity of books to be enveloped inside the atmosphere they help create at home. But seeing the girls enjoy our current reading of George Washington, the D'Aulaire book, and seeing also how they appreciate a good Thanksgiving story, the questions that they start bringing to the table, and their own fascinating process of making these ideas their own while they listen and draw, all this makes me feel satisfied beyond my best dreams, and content to have a couple or three quality titles to slow read and deeply love. I'll surely look forward to reading these old friend books for years to come at this special time in our life and history.

On a different note, we are deeply saddened by the recent news of very serious cancer afflicting our preacher. It can't be true. It happened so fast. One day a few days ago he was asking for our prayers for some tests he was going to have, the next he was in hospital, now he is about to receive chemotherapy.  Many around us are sick, gravely sick, and it's sort of strange how fierce life is, and how we can go on with our insignificant doings and thoughts while others are having a life changing situation, a confrontation with the ultimate meaning of life, the endurance of sickness, the reality of pain, the reminder of our fragility. Singing Be Still and Know that I am God, we also remembered our cherished hymn Be Still My Soul,









It saddens us but it also comforts us to sing it. I never felt the strength of the words in this hymn and its power to comfort you when you sing it. It seems to have a pull of its own that lifts your voice and overtakes your own will gently until it makes you want to forget about everything and simply sing it. I can't whisper it, it moves me to proclaim its message firmly, and then the melody stays with you the rest of the day, lulls you from inside.

4 opinion(s):

...they call me mommy... said...

WE LOVE Cranberry Thanksgiving. You can always get it through your library! I don't own it either! :) We are making the cranberry orange bread recipe from this story for our Thanksgiving, Silivia! :)

Silvia said...

Hi Amy. I saw two or three copies, with five or three requests, but I requested the audio copy, it's a tape. I'm second in line, maybe we get it, if not, next year for sure I'll remember to request it in November to be able to enjoy it. I thought about the library, but I don't know why I said, they surely don't have it... never assume! :)

Alisha said...

Did you see that Pilgrim Stories is the Homeschool Freebie of the day today at http://www.homeschoolfreebie.wholesomechildhood.com/? I picked it up!

Silvia said...

Alisha... bless your heart! Thanks for sharing this. I hope others can see it too! I'm going to grab it as well.

Hugs,
s

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels