The Book of Man

The Book of Man by William J. Bennett caught my attention since I have The Book of Virtues and The Children Book of Virtues, written by him as well, and we enjoy those titles in my family very much. The Book of Man offers examples worth remembering and emulating, and they surely give us as it is the author's intention, a helpful idea of what a good man is.



With a sharp introduction that describes and explains some causes for our current collapse of the code of man, this is no doubt a wonderful book to have in your library. His selections are nicely grouped under six very relevant categories, and they include not just the famous but the unknown. I find the different types of writings, poems, speeches, fragments of novels, biography, etc., very pleasing. I also appreciate Bennett's purpose for the book which is to focus on examples of positive thought and action, leaving the negative out since he desires to lift up and encourage boys and men with his selection.

The writer is passionate about the topic, a selection made with heart and intelligence both hand in hand, that includes the ancient and the modern, the famous and the common person, and it gives a sensitive and brief introduction to each of the selected texts while for the most part, it leaves the portrayed men speak for themselves.

Now I just wished his next title were The Book of Women!

****
Disclosure: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I did offer my honest opinion, as they requested. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255


2 opinion(s):

lisa said...

Silvia,
We have The Children's Book of Virtues and love it. I just finished reading it aloud to the children. I have never heard of this book, but I am guessing I will own it by year's end. Thanks for sharing. :)
Blessings and ((hugs)),
Lisa

Silvia said...

Lisa, this one is from 2011, and it's not for children, it's more for young men and grown up people, but it is great.
You may join booksneeze and if you are willing to review it in your blog, get it for FREE. I was so excited. My first book for free, and one I truly LOVE.

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels