Answers to comments (Poetic Homeschooling)

I'm answering to your latest comments in this post. The answer was getting too long and scattered, hopefully this is easier to read.

Alecat, yes, you'd love the book, but I warn you the first four chapters are 'hard', Taylor lays the foundation of poetic knowledge by referring to the philosophical tradition, and that's not light reading. If you ever read it, do stop by Mystie's blog where she hosted this bookclub, she made great synopsis of every chapter, and many of the participants, specially Kelly, Willa, Mystie and Brandy, are masters at clarifying, explaining and summarizing that hard stuff. Sometimes things clicked after reading their posts! :)

However, if you'd like to just read along and get inspired with other moms, I'm about to propose a book club for Outside Lies Magic, only that I'm hopefully waiting for Brandy to beat me to it... and I'm quite frustrated with that book and Year 1000 the only ones from my order that have not confirmed shipping yet! But I'll get them!

I forgot to tell you I skip BIG CHUNKS of Endangered Minds, sorry, the stats and date did not seem to contribute much to the argument proposed. I understand you having more interesting books in your list. The moral of the thick book... yes, exposure to technology has to do with the ability to think and learn. Nothing conclusive, nothing that will make it different. You will still have to figure it out what to do in this regard by yourself. As for the parts that are teacher and parent comments, the informal parts, those were interesting to read.

Poetic Knowledge did not give 'specific answers' on how to achieve that love for learning and poetic learning in our children, but it definitely helped us to think about how to get to that point you mention of it not being drudgery but of them learning inspired and caring about it, loving what they learn and learning about what they love. And it gave examples of how others went about to achieve this. That was the exciting part of the book that paid back the efforts of the hard first readings. I have experienced the same, I sometimes do something in the hope they'll follow, and they don't. It's probable we still have that mind of getting it done at times, which will be the 'modern approach' to things, and as you say too it may be different interests or personalities, my personality is very different to my oldest daughter on how we approach learning, and I see that friction at moments, my head telling me 'she needs to be doing this', but my insight telling me everybody who wants to do it the right way doesn't force it, but respects learners much more, and does things that modern education doesn't even consider or includes anymore, and we have an invaluable opportunity to do it. So take the jump!
Pam wrote this:
As for my schooling, to divide up could work, but I am still unsure. I don't want to lose this 'sweet summer solstice' we have going where we attempt to really embrace the poetic, leisurely way of learning. Yet... maybe (without calling it school--and maybe that's a key??) just adding more artistic pursuits to what we do now would be enough. In my teacher's mind, I'd be accomplishing my year's plans, ahead of the game, and learning a new habit. While in my students' minds, we are just doing interesting things as a family, as we walk, camp, sit together....

It seems to be a 'philosophy' in which you embrace and the rest flows out? Does that make sense? Do you agree? (After all, you read the book, not me. What do I know? lol!)
That's the key to me. And though you haven't read the book, you know Charlotte Mason well, and you understand exactly what it is that poetic leisurely way of learning. No, do not give up any of that you are enjoying with them this summer. And yes, don't call it school but venture into that which your heart tells you, that's exactly this 'philosophy' you embrace and the rest flows out. It's also like doing Charlotte Mason with the spirit she had. It's what we talked about as planning becoming our skin.

I thought that if there is unschooling and homeschooling, we are the poetic homeschooling. Because some of it certainly overlaps with unschooling, but I still see much more that is left out from that 'label', plus I simply do not like it, unless others know what I mean by it when I mention the word, in which case it forces me to have to explain every time I use it, so I prefer the term Poetic Homeschooling. That will refer to Charlotte Mason, classical, unschooling (to an extent), and any homeschooling that still accepts the role of a teacher, a 'curriculum', and 'lessons', but not by modern or postmodern standards, but poetically. And that will look at times like unschooling, and at times very structured... it will be very personal to each family but it will share goals and principles, and like the French small college Taylor gives as an example, where order, discipline, and self control were present, there will be also in this poetic homeschooling. As Charlotte Mason proposed, habits will  always be forming and maintained. It's not casuality that some who call themselves unschoolers make the distinction between radical unschooling and them, since they are not child led in matters of norms and authority. I like Poetic Homeschooling. Under poetic homeschooling children can be learning Latin, Hebrew or any language, to say something, but poetically in the early years, most likely there will be some rules as to the use of technology, and there will be intent and intentional pursue of learning, starting with the parent/teacher as an example. Poetic Homeschoolers are those who use curriculum as an expedient to learning, but who don't focus their learning on any particular curriculum, syllabus, materials, or practices. Now you all tell me, do you like this term? Yes, many may think we are homeschoolers who use poetry as our curriculum, ha ha ha, but it may soon start to be more understood and discussed.



Mystie, how true, technology and wisdom and maturity are one of those where we put the carriage in front of the horses.And about this: Hopefully we can regain that heritage and continue to build on it; unfortunately, the answer of postmodernity is that we can't build or know at all. What do you think? Do you believe that the force that is reclaiming that heritage is as strong as the postmodern herd? It's hard to assess because those of us not postmodern have no office from which to promote our 'cause', we are the new monastic individuals.


And Willa, that balance you talk about, may it be also a balance between unschooling and homeschooling, a Poetic Knowledge middle place?





Thanks for your comments!



4 opinion(s):

Pam... said...

Awesome. You have wrapped it up and it is a lovely parcel. I do love that new name 'poetic homeschooling'.

Silvia said...

If you like it I'm happy! I thought it was Poetic Passionate Homeschooling too!

alecat said...

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH for taking time to make those responses.

I'm loving the term Poetic Passionate Homeschooling too. :)

Catherine (aka alecat)

Silvia said...

Catherine, your welcome. I love doing this, I also get much from it too ;)

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels