Imprimis and our Republic

A monthly publication by the Hillsdale Collage
I like politics. I like knowing about my country, being involved as much as I can, and reading about issues such as health care, our financial situation, etc. And do not tell me politics are not part of our normal life, if you want to hear how they can touch you close to home, read Brandy's "Afterthoughts" about Unions. For something about the economy, and what the Mississippi Bubble is, you can read Nancy at Sage Parnassus too.


Anyhow, I do not know much about politics, neither about American history, I am learning now with my daughters and by myself, and to aim me in that Imprimis has been an invaluable source of knowledge, writings from persons who know first hand and with accuracy what they are talking about.

We have been receiving IMPRIMIS for a year or so, and I have learned much from those who have been featured in their monthly publication. I like to read the pamphlet at night in bed. I usually think that I am nobody, just a mom, housewife, and someone who knows nothing, who does not change the course of the world, or makes a mark in history. And I am fine with that. I still consider myself very privileged to be able to read and be informed, to be part with my husband in the raising up of our daughters to be responsible citizens, to instill in them a love for their country and a desire to do their part, even if it is small, to be truthful, honest, and compassionate.

Yesterday I read a past number about the Presidency, and it hurt reading this from the OCTOBER ARTICLE by Mike Pence when contrasting it to what we have now:

Whereas the president must be cautious, dutiful, and deferential at home, his character must change abroad. Were he to ask for a primer on how to act in relation to other states, which no holder of the office has needed to this point, and were that primer to be written by the American people, whether of 1776 or 2010, you can be confident that it would contain the following instructions:
You do not bow to kings. Outside our shores, the President of the United States of America bows to no man. When in foreign lands, you do not criticize your own country. You do not argue the case against the United States, but the case for it. You do not apologize to the enemies of the United States. Should you be confused, a country, people, or region that harbors, shelters, supports, encourages, or cheers attacks upon our country or the slaughter of our friends and families are enemies of the United States. And, to repeat, you do not apologize to them.
 That article on the basis of the Presidency was such a powerful one. It tells us how far from our Republic we are drifting into a "Democracy", which I urge you to understand in light of this simple but precise video on American Government. I recommend it for your children too. It is only 10 minutes, and such a class on what a Republic is and why our Founding Fathers chose it to be America's form of government.




4 opinion(s):

Nancy said...

Silvia,
I have been reading IMPRIMIS for years and my son is a junior there! I have learned so much from these publications, too.

Being a good, informed citizen is so important for our children and their futures. Sounds like you are a good example to your girls.

Thanks for linking to my post on the Bubble!

Godspeed,
Nancy

P.S. - I put something in the mail for you today!

Silvia said...

Wow, Nancy! We contribute as much as we can to Hillsdale Collage. Steve thinks that if there were a college he would like the girls to attend, that is Hillsdale, but I tell him they are women, and they may have much more important and low key roles in their life.
I am glad your son is going there.

Thanks for the token, and I´m fixing your link, for some reason it is not working, but I will get it right.

Hugs,
s

Silvia said...

Problem fixed. Your link is active now, Nancy.

Nancy said...

Silvia,
I have been reading IMPRIMIS for years and my son is a junior there! I have learned so much from these publications, too.

Being a good, informed citizen is so important for our children and their futures. Sounds like you are a good example to your girls.

Thanks for linking to my post on the Bubble!

Godspeed,
Nancy

P.S. - I put something in the mail for you today!

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels