Fairwell Post ~ Revisited

Mediterranean House Gecko that we found in our small bathroom
I started the blog to keep the resources for our homeschool in one place and handy, and a blog was the best place to tuck all the other blogs that caught my interest and that I've been reading and enjoying during the time I've been present in this medium.


Before the blogs I used to have lots of pictures public at FLICKR, I belonged to different groups and use to give and receive lots of comments that helped me improve my photographic skills. It came to a point that it was very consuming for me. Though there is no need to leave comments on those who comment in your photo stream, I found I 'had to', if not all the time at least frequently, and that put a toll on me.

After I left flickr I joined Facebook for a couple of months. I did not like it, I felt the need to go to it all the time and see what others were writing, doing, commenting, so I decided to leave that too. Then I was searching about Charlotte Mason when I found Ambleside Online, and with that I joined some yahoo groups. The comments and topics that were being discussed were very interesting to me, that and blogging in the homeschool community came all together at that time for me.

Some blogs don't have comments activated, that maybe a solution for some. Not receiving public comments but some emails may be more manageable, you don't feel the rush to answer to your friend who left a comment, or to have to read them all, even if you use bloglines or a different reader, ;)

However, I need to see if I can be without blogging or thinking about how to improve the blog, at least for a good while, before coming back to it, with the risk of not being in touch with dear friends I've made along the way. So many you can see them in my left column where I have all their inspiring blogs. Actually this decision is something I had been thinking for a long time.

So I'm taking a sabbatical break from it. In the meantime I may think about how to handle future blogging. I may do this once a month, or once every quarter...I'll see. As for the previous posts, I'm leaving them for now, I may take off the more personal ones just because as other blogger said it's weird to leave pictures of your children behind.

Since this stays as my most visited post, I had to revisit it. As you can see, I am still here, always learning that balance between life, obligations, and the blogs. I keep revisiting how long I blog, and the topics and direction to give to this writing in the blogs, but I am not ready to give up your friendship!



13 opinion(s):

No Ordinary Me said...

Sniff! SNiff!! But you know I understand. I often take breaks and come back. But if you decided to not blog for a long time I understand. I hope you keep your great links up on the right. They have led me to so much goodies.

Bless you Silvia.

wonderinthewoods said...

I'm sad to see you go Silvia but I understand. The purpose of my post was not to nudge people away from blogging, just the opposite, in fact. My post had no answers just some positives and negatives to blogging. We all need to weigh them and find a balance that works best for our families. Do not worry about the personal posts. They make this blog real. Farewell, friend. ~Cori

Maria said...

Vaya, Silvia. Te entiendo perfectamente. Aún así, egoístamente hablando, espero leerte pronto de nuevo. 1beso muy fuerte.

Silvia said...

Thank you friends for understanding...I'll come back, I love writing and I can't never stop it, I just need to see what's the best way to do it.

Silvia said...

And yes, I'm leaving the blog as it is!

Kim said...

I think you do a great job with your blog, Silvia, and understand needing a break. I can get distracted with blogging if I let myself...it can be addicting! What I have found that works well for me to set guidelines or parameters...only 1-2 blogs per week if time allows and attempt to spend no more than 30 min. on one blog. I treat it like other things that I enjoy in my "mommy only" time :) since all mommies and esp. homeschooling mommies need that time! Other things that I do for myself that I enjoy are reading and sewing, and I also need to put limits on that or I can easily read an entire book in one sitting (right now I'm reading The Secret Garden from the library!) and forget that I even have a husband! :) You have lots of great info. to share so I pray that God guides you in the right direction with your blogging and your farewell is only temporary :)

Silvia said...

Kim, those are great tips you gave me. Yes, I'm pondering about how to do this, and I know I'll find the solution to it being so absorbent. I know that I love writing and sharing, and I enjoy as you say my little time. Just reconsidering this and having a plan, and resting for a while, that will do it.
Hugs,

Jeanne said...

Oh Silvia,

I will so miss you.

Silvia said...

sigh...Jeanne, it was a difficult decision to make for I value your friendship and many others I made, but something tells me it´s the right thing to do for now.

Ellen said...

I ditto Jeanne! I have really enjoyed your insightful posts regarding education and resources, Silvia. I've also enjoyed getting to "know" you! Blessings, dear one, as you refocus.

Silvia said...

sigh...Jeanne, it was a difficult decision to make for I value your friendship and many others I made, but something tells me it´s the right thing to do for now.

Silvia said...

And yes, I'm leaving the blog as it is!

wonderinthewoods said...

I'm sad to see you go Silvia but I understand. The purpose of my post was not to nudge people away from blogging, just the opposite, in fact. My post had no answers just some positives and negatives to blogging. We all need to weigh them and find a balance that works best for our families. Do not worry about the personal posts. They make this blog real. Farewell, friend. ~Cori

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels