Bloglines

www.bloglines.com
www.googlereader.com

This is a very interesting article comparing those two, bloglines and googlereader.

Maybe many of you know what bloglines is, or google reader, but I didn't know about these things until recently. I heard my friends in the Spanish blogs talk about "I didn't have your updates in my bloglines", and I never knew what they meant. I thought they were talking about the gadget/widget you can add to your blog where you type the blogs you want to see updates while in your blog page. I also clicked 'follow' in many blogs, and did not know you could see new posts and comments via google reader, not just by logging in your dashboard and scrolling at the bottom of that page.


I always had the dilemma of  what to do when I left a comment under one of my posts for another reader. Would she have to come to my blog over and over and see if new comments have been added? With wordpress blogs you can subscribe to the comments and blog at the end of the comment box, and you'll get them via email, and yet I did not see that feature in the prevalent blogger blogs.

Every time I changed the blog design and I chose one that had the RSS feeds, or Subscribe buttons, I just wanted to get rid of them, I didn't understand their function. Now I do.

If you have a blogger blog you can add these buttons: bloglines, all comments, posts, and if you subscribe to those from the website, or add them to the bloglines feeds you'll be able to see all the new posts and comments of your own and your favorite blogs all in one page. Wow, that was a wonderful time saver for me. I used to click from my blogs to go to others and trace comments like crazy. When you go to bloglines, set up an account with just your email, and in their home page (which looked odd to me and I couldn't figure out very well at first), you'll see to your left some tabs, one says YOUR FEEDS, click add and paste or type the blog you want to follow if the blog doesn't have a button to do it straight from there. Voila, that's all you need. With google reader, all the blogs you have clicked to follow will show there too.

To subscribe to the comments in blogger blogs, I haven't been able to do so in those blogs who don't have the subscribe to all comments button, so if you are one of those, ADD IT PLEASE, that'll be super great for your readers and it will give us choices to follow your blogs and comments in one page, by yahoo, bloglines, google reader, netvibes or newsgator, the last two I'm not familiar with but maybe other readers are and do follow blogs that way.

If ONE of you didn't know this and now has found out, that will make me very glad.

9 opinion(s):

Jeanne said...

Aren't we clever with our blogs and our facebook and our twitter accounts? There is still so much that I don't understand though. I'm the wrong side of 20, I'm afraid, to know it all!

Pam said...

Thanks!

Nancy said...

Wrong side of 20? How about wrong side of 40, Jeanne? LOL
So, I'm all for streamlining my blog time. What's the dif between google reader and bloglines? And how do I let people subscribe to all comments?
Sigh. I might learn something new here...

Silvia said...

Nancy: You and Jeanne made me laugh, I'm in that club.
This is a very interesting article comparing those two, bloglines and googlereader.
As how to let people subscribe to all comments and how to subscribe yourself, add the ALL COMMENTS button as a widget/gadget to your blog design, and we'll be able to subscribe. Look at my blog, at the top, on the left, I have the subscribe to all comments and posts buttons, and you subscribe to your own blogs comments to also receive the updates without having to look for them in your blog.

Nancy said...

I'll try that. I do get a notice whenever anyone makes a comment on my blog via email. It's just when I comment on others' blogs, I don't see if the author responded and have to go hunt down my comment (like I just did now!) . I've tried "subscribing" to a blog's comments, but it clogged up my inbox as they received tons of responses with each blog post - that was annoying. So, if I use the widget thingie that you have, the comments will show up on bloglines or google reader - not my inbox?
Sigh.

Silvia said...

That's right, Nancy, you'll subscribe to the comments via bloglines, so your email doesn't get spammed and you have comments and new posts all in one page, and yours too, like I did see yours right now in my bloglines account so if the comment is of a previous post I see it as well, without having to hop from screen to screen and hunt for those.

Silvia said...

Ah, one last thing, receiving your comments via email is not problem for many, however, I like to just read them with bloglines that way my email is not that full. I have two emails, one I use for the daily readers of the yahoo groups, which I don't read all the time, I receive Ambleramble, Ambleside curriculum, Livingmath forum, Beechick, and some other groups, but it's not that important. Then I have my main email, and I don't want any spam or avalanche of emails in that one. That's for friends, family, important things...and finally bloglines, where I have nicely tagged my friend's blogs and comments and my own all in one cozy page.
Hope you get your way around bloglines and enjoy the service, it's definitely a nice thing for those of us who follow some blogs but who don't want to spend more time than we already do navigating the internet but rather spend it communicating with friends and writing.

Silvia said...

Nancy: You and Jeanne made me laugh, I'm in that club.
This is a very interesting article comparing those two, bloglines and googlereader.
As how to let people subscribe to all comments and how to subscribe yourself, add the ALL COMMENTS button as a widget/gadget to your blog design, and we'll be able to subscribe. Look at my blog, at the top, on the left, I have the subscribe to all comments and posts buttons, and you subscribe to your own blogs comments to also receive the updates without having to look for them in your blog.

Jeanne said...

Aren't we clever with our blogs and our facebook and our twitter accounts? There is still so much that I don't understand though. I'm the wrong side of 20, I'm afraid, to know it all!

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels