Homeschooling in Spain

It's been a very long week for me. I had an interview published in a blog in Spanish by Madalen, who is undergoing an investigation about homeschooling for her doctorate, and it elicited tons of comments about recognition, regulation, different groups, division, different opinions, etc, in Spain through my comments about Texas.
I thought I was sort of 'showing off' our beneficial laws in regard to homeschool, and I believe I unknowingly ignited some readers who have different views about how the Spanish government and the different autonomous communities should handle the homeschooling situation. Many (if I understand correctly) oppose Big Government intermission and controls, some believe that it will be more convenient if the government had something definitive for all, not leaving a space for each community to then decide on different regulations (which is to them scary...well, to me too), but it's sort of what happens in the States with different states having different regulations.

In Spain they are in a more incipient step in regards to homeschooling. The Constitution recognizes the right for families to take care of their children, but so far there is a mandatory school attendance law. When families stop sending their children to school, they may be visited by Social Services, they have even been cited to court in a situation similar to the so called truancy cases in the States, and they have to endure a trial, sometimes years after the first charges were made, and wait one case at a time, to be granted the right to homeschool. That was Ketty's family's situation. I believe by Africa, that the Coordinadora Catalana has changed the law that says 'mandatory education' to add 'non physically present' mandatory education and that is helping families when they are visited by Social Services, and there is another organization named ALE that is advancing the homeschoolers presence, helping families as well, and even writing law they'd like to see incorporated to the current Spanish laws that rule education. The homeschoolers who also share christian religious believes are getting together and trying to form another association, Ketty has information about a get together in her blog as well.
I'm SURE, I've left things out, and haven't even expressed but a fraction of the information, situation, and problematic of HS in Spain, that's why I've added the links at the bottom. ANYBODY can freely link to their posts, blog, or comment in this regard. The only condition that I'm sure all of us understand, it's to comment with honesty, upfront, and with respect.
Good luck to Spain and her BRAVE homeschooling families.

*The muffins in the picture are for the virtual coffee we are having! ;-)



3 opinion(s):

Nancy said...

Silvia,
Very interesting - sounds like you have been very busy with some heavy discussions! Keep us posted. (And no, I haven't figured out the new windom thing yet - no time right now!)

I admire your bravery!

Jeff said...

I have gone through this blog. I found it very interesting and helpful. Nowadays I am completing my studies from home only.
And this blog really doing great for me. This blog also offers me more ideas and advices concerned to my career.


Study From Home

Nancy said...

Silvia,
Very interesting - sounds like you have been very busy with some heavy discussions! Keep us posted. (And no, I haven't figured out the new windom thing yet - no time right now!)

I admire your bravery!

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels