Susan Bauer's comparison between Classic Education and Charlotte Mason

Have you read this? Maybe you have but to me it was a new and inspiring finding.

Since I started reading about homeschooling methods or schools of thought, Charlotte Mason caught my eye through Karen Andreola's book, A Charlotte Mason Companion, which sparked my interest to read Mason's original works (I still read from time to time parts of her volumes) . I've also enjoyed Ruth Beechick and last summer I bought this book, The Well Trained Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer. In reading about Classic Education, some concepts I enjoyed, some didn't quite click as much as Mason, but that's a homeschooling mother right there, forming her own opinion.
Today I'm clicking on one of the blogs called Beechick's Home Hearts and I click on the six major methods, on Charlotte Mason, and I find this comparison by Susan Wise between her, Andreola, and Levison! Now I'm even more confused than ever! ha ha ha. Seriously, as I'm waiving good bye to my husband and asking him "do you think I'm doing fine with the girls education? Do you think I am doing enough? Do you think I'm capable?" He turned to me and said, just look at your daughters, how they talk, think on their own, how they are obeying at the first request without complain. He trusts me, my Lord trusts me too, and I will continue this humble journey in which these ladies company is valued and appreciated. Hope this information helped you if you did not have it already.

A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning

2 opinion(s):

Ellen said...

Silvia, I know the article of which you speak. This year, especially, I've been wondering and worrying about next year, when Miss Priss will be in fifth grade. I've been perusing my copy of TWTM and thinking about incorporating some logic stage materials into our CM approach. When we began hs'ing, I followed TWTM, but only lasted about three months, when I switched to a mostly-AO model. But I still like a lot of Bauer's philosophies. So. . .

Ellen said...

Silvia, I know the article of which you speak. This year, especially, I've been wondering and worrying about next year, when Miss Priss will be in fifth grade. I've been perusing my copy of TWTM and thinking about incorporating some logic stage materials into our CM approach. When we began hs'ing, I followed TWTM, but only lasted about three months, when I switched to a mostly-AO model. But I still like a lot of Bauer's philosophies. So. . .

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels