Living Math & Progress Report


What have we been doing lately? We've been playing at the park and doing PE for the last two Mondays despite of the cold weather. Readings we finished our Ducktails book by Jeanette Oke, and started with another title, "A Cote of Many Colors", which we are enjoying too. We read Ryan's book mentioned in the post below, and we are involved in the last batch we got from the library. We already read "The Greedy Triangle", by Marilyn Burns, which I remember from my early childhood teaching days. We got many books on cats because we got two and saw some more on cats so we brought a few on that topic. One of them "My cat copies me" we loved. The girl is oriental, and my dadaughters are enamored with China for some reason. It was definitely a living book that spoke to us too since we have a cat, Turkish.


Looking at our shelves I was perusing the childcraft encyclopedia that our friend Sherry gave us, and I looked at volume 13m Mathemagic. What a surprise! It is a LIVING MATH volume, with stories, riddles, math curiosities, games, brain teasers, history...
So this morning apart from our plan of playing crazy eights, war, and old maid (and my oldest read the names of the characters), I read to them the first riddle about a man who has to transport a wolf, goat, and basket of cabbages to the other side of a river, but can only do it transporting one thing at a time.


If he takes the wolf in his first trip, the goat will eat the cabbages, if he takes the cabbages the wolf will eat the goat. So how would you solve this? We looked at the solution and then they worked on making simple props to present it to dad tonight.
(Solution: after dropping the goat, he'll come back for the cabbages, take them to the other side and put the goat in the boat, then drop the goat, pick the wolf, take the wolf to the other side with the cabbages, and come back for the goat).
We also read about Ali, Samarkanda and the treasure, and two boxes with black and white stones, that's about probability, but we'll leave it for more posts.
P1050027



5 opinion(s):

Jimmie said...

Oh! Childcraft books. Great memories! Wonderful living math lesson, Silvia.

Wonder in the Woods said...

Thanks for the reminder about Childcraft! I hope to get the whole set one day (waiting for a good deal =) but I do have Mathemagic.

Helen said...

I find your blog really inspiring. Thank you.

Wonder in the Woods said...

Thanks for the reminder about Childcraft! I hope to get the whole set one day (waiting for a good deal =) but I do have Mathemagic.

Jimmie said...

Oh! Childcraft books. Great memories! Wonderful living math lesson, Silvia.

 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Amazon Affiliates

Search Engine

Search/Labels